The IELTS Exam is the world’s most widely reputed exam for measuring the overall knowledge level of the applicant in English. Small errors here and there add up to a huge difference in the score as the test level is very high. So dreams become shattered and opportunities go out of hand; on the contrary, being a little cautious can make a big difference.
Mistakes are a part of any exam, but if a student is keen to observe where the mistakes are found, they can easily be overcomed. The situation with the IELTS Exam is close. Nonetheless, in the IELTS Test, you need to be extra careful about your mistakes because even missing the correct score by 0.5 bands can cost your study or settle your dream abroad.
This article is intended specifically for the aspirants of IELTS to make them aware of the most common mistakes that they typically make. Consider them now, and stop them when you appear for your IELTS Examination.
- One of the most common errors committed by aspirants is to write in more words than set out in the instructions. When you answer with four words (or more than three in a count), you will certainly lose points. Even as writing more words costs marks, reacting to them would also cost marks in less than the needed words.
- IELTS Tasks to write exclusively and obey word count. You need to write 150 words for IELTS Writing Task 1 (Letter or Report), while IELTS Writing Task 2 (Essay) needs you to write 250 words. The length of these tasks plays a significant part in your ranking.
- For most IELTS test takers, there is a misconception that writing longer essays would help them obtain a High Score. If you too find yourself in such a confusion, then clear it now! If you write a long article, as the number of words and sentences increases, there are chances that you may make more mistakes. That indirectly lowers your score. And it’s time to crack the idea right away.
- Coherence & Cohesion is one of the essential requirements your IELTS Exam, in particular your Essay Writing Project, is marked on. So, which is the best way to show your expertise in Coherence and Cohesion? Does it use more and more binding words? If YES is your answer then stop this practice now. Excessive use of the terms to communicate is NOT Appropriate. An investigator detects this easily and punishes you with a low score.
- IELTS is an assessment for non-native speakers. So, your accent has no effect on your ranking. But pronunciation is necessary for the IELTS Speaking Test to get a good score. Your pronunciation IELTS score depends largely on how clearly you speak, and how intelligible you are. The words you say must be pronounced correctly, no matter how heavy your accent is. Otherwise, you’ll risk your points.
This happens several times that the aspirant doesn’t understand the subject he/she is asked to write on and thinks of writing on a completely different subject in order to avoid missing the entire job. But, the fact is that the IELTS Test will not give you a score for the wrong subject. Whatever beautiful way you present your ideas and work, Wrong Topic = Zero Score.
There may be some more errors, made by the students, but the above are found in general. You should be vigilant about ‘the usual mistakes’ when preparing for the exam and check yourself whether you are likely to make these mistakes or any other. Being mindful of the risks is inevitable if you want to stay away from trouble. So, do enough practice before the IELTS Test.
Through practice tests and other valuable tools, you can carry out successful IELTS Test training at the Focus Education Centre of Canada. Learn to know the structure of assessments and the method of scoring. IELTS Training in Mississauga will help you to prepare for the IELTS test. Our Focus Education Center of Canada prepares students to get high scores and excel in group IELTS training in the internationally recognized language and postgraduate exams. Our IELTS program helps students learn the techniques and skills needed to excel on the day of the test. IELTS Learning Courses will help to train you for IELTS exams. IELTS preparation in Canada will help you prepare for the IELTS exam. Preparedness means much more than just improving your English skills. Analyze your performance by getting an expert evaluation of your practice tests. Build confidence and your efforts will definitely reflect on your IELTS Ranking. The more conscious you are, the fewer errors you ‘d commit. Taken internationally, the IELTS exam is a very high-quality exam, the standards are set high. Every mistake or error counts but if you plan properly in English with a solid knowledge base and can execute your skill in the exam, a bright future awaits you.